Friday, February 07, 2014

The Best of .... Europe Edition

This may a bit of a stretch, but as I review all of my travels throughout 2013 I can't help thinking that this is WHY I came to London. I wanted to travel. I wanted to satiate (or at least attempt to) this need I've had to return to Europe and see more. I've loved every part of the travel opportunities I've had here. And I've loved that the friends I've made while living here have the same lust for travel that I do. So often I find myself in a group of friends where someone throws out an idea for somewhere to go, and before the end of the night a trip is partially planned. Now that I'm reflecting on this past year and all that I've done, I can't help but wonder how it all flew by so quickly.

I've been lucky enough to make it to all of the following places this past year:
  • Switzerland - Geneva and Lausanne
  • France - Paris and Morillon
  • Lithuania - Vilnius
  • Italy - Not just Italy, Italy TWICE!!! Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Orvieto, and Lake Como (Bellagio, Menaggio, Varenna)
  • Holland - Amsterdam
  • Ireland - Dublin, Galway, Killarney, Doolin, Dingle and Cork
  • Hungary - Budapest
  • Spain - Sevilla and Barcelona
  • Czech Republic - Prague
  • All over the UK: The Cotswolds, Bath, Brighton, Isle of Wight, Oxford (albeit briefly), New Forest
So how can I look back at so many places I've loved and pick my favorites?? It's especially tough for me because I'm partial to all things Italian. A big part of me wants to just rave again about how much I loved Lake Como and how returning to Italy after all these years meant most to me on a sentimental/nostalgic level. But that's not the point. The point of this is to pick out the best of the best from my travels. So here goes...

BEST FOOD
  1. Chicken Paprikas in the Motherland (Hungary, duh!)
    Our family grew up with this dish, so having the chance to have it in Hungary was pretty awesome. And yes, I had it every day that I was in Budapest. (My mom is also making it for my birthday dinner when I get home!! Slight. Obsession.)
  2. Florentine steak at Trattoria Mario in Florence, Italy
    If you ever find yourself in Florence... please... I beg of you: GO HERE! This small and unassuming little trattoria makes steak the way few can do. It's worth the wait (and the meat sweats after). 
  3. The 4 course tasting dinner at Utrechtsedwarstafel in Amsterdam (say that 3 times fast!)
    Dan and I were told to go here by my friend Dave. It admittedly was a splurge. But the tiny restaurant did not disappoint on food or service. The owners and head chef personally delivered our food. And pigeon has never tasted so good! ;)
  4. Tagliatelle pasta in Varenna, Italy (aka Lake Como)
    Cadence, Jane and I were in food heaven after this lunch.
    It also included phenomenal mussels, but I figure I have to pick the absolute best! 
  5. Tapas in Sevilla
    This is a toss-up between the Andalucian sauce used on the tapas at Bar Alfalfa ...
    and this quail egg tapas dish at Eslava. Wow to both. 
  6. Seafood in Ireland 
    I know this may be slightly unexpected since seafood isn't typically what comes to mind in Ireland, but since we traveled along the coast, we had fresh seafood almost daily. The fish chowder in Galway and the crab along the West coast were both incredible. 
  7. French cheese (do I have to specify where??)
    ... In Paris 
    ... Raclette and fondue in Morillon
MOST BEAUTIFUL VIEWS
  1. Ireland countryside along the west coast down to Kerry. 
  2. Dingle Peninsula
  3. Lake Como - the view of the lake itself. 
  4. Cinque Terre - the coastline all staggered with colored houses 

  5. Orvieto from the city wall
  6. Canals in Amsterdam 
  7. Mont Blanc in France 
  8. Eiffel Tower from the grassy area at the base
  9. View of the Lake Geneva from both Geneva and Lausanne
  10. Countryside from Dave's house outside of Bath
  11. La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona (I realize this isn't a traditional "view", but it sure was stunning!)
MOST CHARMING TOWNS
  1. The Cotswolds - I will be returning to this region for a longer period of time. The towns ooze charm. My favorite is Bourton On The Water. 
  2. Amsterdam cobblestone streets and bikers on one speeds riding over canals (see photos above)
  3. Orvieto everything about it oozed charm 
  4. Vilnius it may have been freezing, but this Eastern European city had a pretty killer "Old Town."
MOST SURPRISING/UNEXPECTED
  1. Ruin bars in Budapest 
  2. Wild horses walking through the streets in New Forest
BEST RUNNING ROUTE
I realize this may seem like a silly category to some, but for me it's something I really love to do on trips. I'm admittedly partial to parks and water..
  1. Along the River Tiber in Rome
  2. Along the Guadalquivir river in Sevilla
  3. Along the coast in Galway
  4. Through Westerpark in Amsterdam with Dan (one of my only runs with someone). 
  5. Through this secluded trailway that both passed along the water and past Quarr Abbey (an old monastery) in Isle of Wight. 
BEST LIVE MUSIC
  1. Traditional Celtic singers everywhere in Galway  





    2. Street musicians in Italy
    3. Flamenco in Sevilla 

    Ok, I could go on forever.....the way Guinness tastes different in Ireland, or the awesomeness of trying to have a conversation with a Czech guy at the beer halls in Prague....but I guess the above is my best attempt at recapping my favorite things from the past year's travels. Here's to even more adventures in the next year or two! Cheers!

    1 comment: