Thursday, January 30, 2014

Australia Day: Let's have a barbie!

Sunday was Australia Day which is essentially the Aussie's version of Fourth of July, except instead of celebrating their independence, they are celebrating the invasion of Britain??? Riggghht....

Anyway, it's also about being patriotic (which is clearly much more like Fourth of July for us) and because the vast majority of my friends here are Aussie or Kiwi, I was included in on the celebration. Here in London it becomes a bit of a party scene. Facebook event groups were set up weeks in advance to discuss where the celebration would be. We ended up deciding on a barbie on Sunday Arvo (see below for explanation). 
We were definitely in a giant Wig Wam with a huge circular barbecue in the middle.

To further honor my friends and their day (and to entertain you), today we're going to talk about some common Australian slang. 

Arvo = afternoon 
Barbie = BBQ
Brekkie = Breakfast (although the Brits do use this quite a bit too)
Feral = hairy, unclean hippy
Fortnight = 2 weeks period of time 
As I've informed you frequently: I ONLY speak American. So I required a bit of clarification in understanding when exactly our cleaner was going to be returning. The last time I used the word "fortnight" was likely in history class when I was 14. 
Heaps = a lot 
Pash - as in 'we had a pash'. I'm not sure if this is all Australians or just my friends Cadence and Kirsty (not to be confused with me, Kirsti), but its way more fun way of saying you made out with someone. 

They generally seem to take words, cut them in half and shorten by adding 'ie' to the end: brekkie, barbie, sunnies (sunglasses).

So now you want to know how to use these in a sentence?
Hey mates, let's go to Cadence's for brekkie before going to the pub in the Arvo to celebrate Aussie day. 

There! See, now you know everything there is to know about speaking like an Aussie! Or at least everything that I know! Cheers mates! 


No comments:

Post a Comment