Tuesday, January 07, 2014

A Year In London...

I just had a reality check. I moved to London January 3, 2013; A full year has passed! I'm actually in the middle of finishing my final exams as we speak, meaning my program is about over!! (I realize I'm over-using exclamation marks here.... it's reflective of how I'm feeling though.) Time flies! 

Since it's the start of a new year, it's obviously an ideal time to reflect back on this past year spent abroad: the places I've been, the friend's I've made, the experiences I've had. I have such a mix of emotions running through me: I'm humbled and grateful for the opportunity to have even lived here at all, I'm excited to go home and see my friends and family, but I also never want this to end. London tends to be a bit of a Never Never Land, and it's difficult to want to leave. I was just reading through a journal I had written in years ago and saw that both living abroad and traveling more were under my list of "dreams". It's almost funny to me to reflect back and realize just how long I've been wanting to do this, and how fortunate I am to have been able to make it happen.

The next month proves to be a quiet one as far as experiences go for me. I have exams and my dissertation to finish. It's a perfect month to blog about some of my favorites over the past year! So for this first of the "Favorites" I will give you the scoop on what's been happening in December!

Christmastime in London
I've always loved how decorative and festive Chicago is for Christmas, but I have to say London beats it. This city comes alive with decorations and festivities! Some of the examples are...

Lights, trees and decorations...
Regent Street always has lights down the length of the entire shopping street.
Carnaby Street also does up the decorations (although I admittedly don't understand why redbirds..)
Covent Garden has a huge tree out in front.
Harrod's lights look especially festive.
Picadilly Circus is transformed into a lifesize snow globe.
Even pubs have Christmas trees and decorations!
Christmas markets...
The Southbank has German-style Christmas markets set up lining the river
Covent Garden has indoor Christmas stalls set up
Gotta love that you can walk around the city with mulled wine!
Even the neighboring towns (such as Bath) have crazy Christmas markets!

Winter Wonderland (a Hyde Park festival)...
A huge Christmas festival is set up in Hyde Park for 6 weeks.
This is right outside the German beer hall inside Winter Wonderland.
Santa pub crawls...
Have to say, I've never seen so many Santas on roller blades.
A group of my friends organize their own annual Santa pub crawl as well.
My flatmates are actually the organizers.

Christmas onesies are highly encouraged.

Friends host Christmas parties....
Vero and Maria spent ages putting together this dinner! 
We even got a Christmas turkey!
I was told to "dress festively"..... however I seemed to be the only one actually dressed in Christmas attire.
Pop up ice skating rinks in multiple locations...
(We ended up going to the Tower of London, but there are also ones at Somerset House, Hyde Park, Museum of Natural History and Canary Wharf!)
Jane, Cadence and I had been trying to get an ice skating date organized for ages. Finally we made it to the Tower of London with a group of friends (with the Shard in the background) for our skate date.
Jane looks like she's having too much fun not to post this!
Dan before the beard got shaved off for the Blitz Party!
Although I did unexpectedly get to go home for the week of Christmas (thanks for my insanely generous friend Lauren), I have to say my Christmas spirit was in full swing thanks to the city's decorations and events. If you ever get the opportunity to come to London around Christmastime, you MUST! 

Stay tuned for the Blitz Party NYE post!

2 comments:

  1. This post made me nostalgic! Mostly because I really missed Mulled Wine this year!! Enjoy your last few weeks there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to miss it so much next year in the States! It's my favorite! Hope you're doing well on your new adventure! Looks amazing!

      Delete