Friday, January 17, 2014

Reflections on the year....

Continuing on with my reflections on the past year.....

I just re-read my first couple of blog posts from a year ago, and it's pretty crazy to see how my opinions of things have shifted (and also just what was on my mind at the time). I thought it would be fun to compare my thoughts to now. My current thoughts are in blue next to the original....

The few things that I don't like (and there aren't many)

  • Their front doors - the handles are in the middle! It's just awkward. They don't close easily so I'm constantly SLAMMING the door. Get real! The handles are so cool! I love the doors here!
  • The gym situation - It's less than ideal. They are super expensive, and super small. Still annoying. I've lost all my muscle tone and pretty much rely on running, in-home workouts from Mens Health and yoga. But, I have found some of the most incredible yoga studios and yoga teachers here. I will miss them so much when I come back! And Lululemon's free yoga classes have become my lifeline (although I have to say, I've done some freaking weird "yoga" at their classes). My legs may be thinner...but my muscle tone is GONE. 
  • Carrying my bookbag or shoulder bag (depending on the day) with me. Too heavy. I don't like carrying books, and a laptop, and my notebooks and my packed lunch for the day. I feel like my arm is going to fall off. Maybe I can get a boy to start carrying it for me... Haha, I just laughed at the "get a boy to carry it for me" comment. That clearly didn't happen. Books are a pain man! I should've gotten an iPad and e-books! :)
  • Top up cell phones - What a pain in the ass. Seriously. Customer service doesn't exist here. And the cell phone situation without an established credit history is ridiculous. Well, I do have to say this brought back a load of bad memories about the first month..but now?? I LOVE the cell phone plans here! I pay £12 per month for unlimited data, text and talking! You cannot beat that anywhere in the US. UK > US on this one. 
  • The coffee situation - Still figuring this one out. Their "filtered" coffee (aka American coffee) is rubbish. The Americanos aren't a good substitute...and everything seems to have a lot more milk than I want. They don't like personalizing your coffee either, so unless you go to Starbucks don't ask. Don't do a half-caff, 2-pumps (not 4) of syrup. In fact, don't add syrup at all. They don't like fancy. Just order a dry cappuccino and get on with it already.  Well, I suppose I've changed my opinion a bit here. All of the "rubbish" comments sadly apply to Starbucks here (for the most part...except during the holiday season when I wanted my Gingerbread latte so much I dealt with the mediocre coffee). After working at an Aussie-run coffee shop for 5 months, I've learned a bit more about the "good" coffee culture. They think Americans with our "Venti" coffees are ridiculous (and we sort of are...). You get as much caffeine in one flat white as in the largest coffee in the States. Avoid the chains. Find the Aussie and Kiwi coffee shops, and you'll not only get delicious cappuccinos, you'll get an awesome design to boot!
  • Everyone smokes. Seriously. Everyone. Yeah...this is pretty much the case all over Europe. It takes a bit to get used to, but I did. 
  • The Britons are crazy about the weather. It's like they don't need heat. The sun comes out and the weather gets above 2 degrees (Celsius) and people are suddenly eating on patios!!?!? Seriously, I don't know how their hands don't freeze off! Yeah, that's still true too! I saw people eating dinner at a nice Italian place outside last week under heat lamps. I would be miserable. But I guess it speaks for the fact that they don't like the rainy, gray weather get them down. If it's a clear sky, people take advantage of it. In Chicago we get 3-4 awesome months of summer. Here they considered 5 weeks a good summer! I guess you take advantage of what you can. I have to say, this trip did make me realize I need sun more than I realized. 
Anyway, after 3 weeks here in London...there's not much not to like. I'm facing constant battles with wanting to do and see it all (like a tourist) and getting overwhelmed with all there is to do while I'm still trying to study finance (which I'm horrible at) and live an everyday life. But discovering a different way of living with all types of different people has been great so far!
This is the most interesting part to read now that I'm nearing the end of my "journey". I started off thinking London was amazing. Late spring came around and I started to feel like I "liked" but didn't "love" London. I have always loved Europe. And traveling. And the culture. And I even recognized that there were tons of things about London that were charming and beautiful. But the "love" was missing. It wasn't until a month or two ago that this changed, and now I LOVE it. I still have the constant battle between wanting to do everything and wanting to chill out. I haven't read half of the books I brought here thinking I would read. But how can I when there is constantly a new exhibit or pop-up bar/restaurant or new neighborhood to check out!? Leaving is going to be so hard. I'm sure a lot of this has evolved as I've developed stronger friendships and gotten more comfortable. It makes sense. But it's not going to make it any easier to leave. 

I'm going to write another post about the "Best of" London where I'll ramble much more about the specifics I love here! :)  Anyway, back to real life. Just a couple more weeks here and then I'm home for good. Such a strange feeling... in the meantime, back to resume-writing, job-searching and research project analyzing! Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment